Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Oh, Hello Again Winter...

Well this has been quite the crazy weather week in the District. We closed out last week with a dusting of snow and a slow start to the work week due to ice and sleet, and then Tuesday happened. The winter coats and Uggs went away and we got a glimpse of spring. For me, that glimpse was plenty. I know, I'm awful, but I forgot how much I hate running and walking in any temperatures above 50. It's crazy, I know. It's mostly because I hate sweating more than anything, but sweat like a crazy person seemingly the minute I get the slightest bit warm. I was drenched running and sweating upon arrival at the metro the last two days. Color me not amused. 

That being said, you can imagine my joy when the cold returned this morning! The wind was a little much, it was nice to feel cold air again. Unfortunately, I didn't get to greet the day with a morning run because I was ill. Not sick-ill, but I'd had a horrid migraine on Sunday that never quite went away. Worried that it was lasting so long, my papa accompanied me to the local urgent care center this morning. After a few shots (in the butt/back and super painful...I'm still a little traumatized from this) I spent the day at home, resting and taking it easy with Aussie. She's a good nurse. I'm starting to rally, so hopefully I'll get to take advantage of some cold weather running tomorrow morning. 

In the meantime, as you might suspect, there wasn't a whole lot of cooking going on in my kitchen today. As luck would have it, I found an unshared recipe that's perfect for warming up on chili days: Butternut Squash Risotto

I made risotto for the first time back in the fall, when I was loving all things pumpkin. It was delicious, but it took forever to make, even in the crockpot. Wanting to try my hand at risotto again, but pressed for time, I found this quick recipe. I was a little skeptical (it's made mostly in the microwave) but it worked like a charm. The longest part of this one was probably roasting the butternut squash....and there was may more than I needed to I definitely had some as a cooking/pre-dinner snack. I have no shame. 

Butternut Squash Risotto 


Ingredients
Inspiration found here

  •  1/4 cups uncooked Arborio rice 
  • 2 tsp olive oil 
  • 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 of 1 medium butternut squash, roasted and diced
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 6 Tbsps grated Parmesan cheese 

Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 425 F

2. Slice butternut squash in half, length-wise, removing seeds and strings

3. Drizzle both halves with olive oil and place face down in a 9x13 baking dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until tender

4. Meanwhile, combine rice and oil in a 1 1/2-quart microwave-safe dish, stirring to coat. Microwave, uncovered on high for 3 minutes

5.  Add broth and 1 cup water to rice mixture; microwave, uncovered on high for 9 minutes

6. Stir well; microwave, uncovered, on high for 6 minutes

7. Remove from microwave; let stand 5 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed

8. Once squash is cooked, allow to cool slightly to avoid scalding your fingers and then remove skin and dice into cubes

Love roasting butternut squash

9. Puree 12oz (about one of the halves) of butternut squash using a hand blender (love this thing!!)

10. Mix pureed squash, cheese, salt and pepper together with cooked risotto


Plate and serve as desired (I added asparagus on the side of this version to give it a little color)

 


No comments:

Post a Comment