Pages

Monday, January 28, 2013

What the What?!

I don't know what is happening to my baking skills!? Is baking all of a sudden like running, I take a week off and all abilities are lost?! I'll be honest, I'm borderline hysterical. 

So last night you'll recall that I failed miserably at my first attempt to create cinnamon rolls. They were actually so bad that after I pried them out of the pan in the vein hope that I'd eat them again, I threw them away in the light of day. I never throw food that hasn't gone bad away, so you know they must have been bad. 

In an attempt to restore my confidence in the kitchen, I decided to take advantage of working from home on a gloomy Monday to create a new and fun cookie that I could also bring into the office and share with coworkers. Even with the best of intentions, it was once again not meant to be my day in the kitchen. Oh Gian, where are you to go from here?!

Similar to yesterday, I will share this recipe with you because I believe it was my fault that the cookies turned out like they did, not the fault of the recipe. This is quickly becoming the year of recipe redos?! Get it together Gian, get it together.



Cake Batter Sugar Cookies
Adapted from one of my fav sites: Sally's Baking Addiction

Ingredients

  • 8 Tbsps (1/2 cup) butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 large egg yolks [this is one point where I messed up, I dumped the whole egg in]
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 - 1 cup rainbow sprinkles
Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 350F

2. Combine butter and sugar together in stand mixer with paddle attachment until creamy

3. Add egg yolks, vanilla extract, baking powder, and salt. Mix until well combined

4. Add flour in 1/2 cup increments until a dough ball forms. Stir in sprinkles by hand

5. On a parchment paper lined baking sheet, create Easter Island looking balls of cookie dough. [This technique is totally legit. TF swears by it and he's kind of my cookie-making guru. More technically speaking, when the cookies are made tall to begin with they spread less, resulting in a fluffier cookie at the end]



This Easter Island business is completely my own naming....every time I see them I just can't help but think that they look like the statutes on Easter Island

6. Bake for 8-10 minutes, making sure they don't brown. [It is here that I also went wrong. Not only did I put my cookies too close together, causing them to run together into a pseudo-giant cookie mass, but my antics caused them to not cook all the way through due to lack of space. Double fail]

7. Allow cookies to cook for a few minutes on tray before moving to wire rack for the remainder of their cooling time

In my perfect baking world, I would be showcasing a beautifully stacked pile of Christmas sprinkle-clad yumminess here

Instead, I broke out one of my new cookie cutters (a mitten) and tried to salvage some of the half cooked/half doughed mass. They were better warm. In the light of day, they may be joining the cinnamon rolls in the trash. 

Clearly I need to re-acclimate myself with baking ASAP. I cannot go on like this!




.

No comments:

Post a Comment