Pages

Monday, January 14, 2013

Salty Sweet Sensation

I've never been much of a fan of new year's resolutions. I actually hate this time of year because the gym is overrun with an influx of people resolving to workout more. In recent years, I've adopted the coping mechanism of running outside as much as possible during the month of January while waiting the for the novelty to wear off and the gym crowd to return to normal levels. This year, to help lessen my pain, I decided to switch gyms. I'd been at my old gym for over 2 years and while I enjoyed the price, I greatly disliked how far it was from my apartment (a solid 10 minute walk...which isn't super far, but in the winter or rain it makes for a lot of excess dressing and undressing), to the point that I was going twice a month at best. Not ok. So, with the switch official (love being two blocks away), I am not only in love with the gym again (we've never had a super close relationship....I hate weights and love running outside), but I have also become a Pilates convert. I've been doing yoga about once a week for some time, but more for relaxation than a workout. But Pilates, how did we go so long without crossing paths?! Oh the things I've gone without!

Back in town and with a new workout regime underway, my appetite returned as well. Last week, with my holiday sweet tooth still in high gear, I  broke out the mixer and began to randomly throw things into the bowl...well, maybe not that extreme, but I did create a wonderful hodgepodge of sweet and salty, all disguised in a cookie to help ease me back into the pains of a full work week. 

Chocolate Chip M&M Pretzel Goodness



Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 and 1/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup bite size M&Ms
  • 3/4 cup pretzel pieces
  • 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
Preparation
1.  In a large bowl with paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars together at medium speed.  Add egg and vanilla
2. Slowly mix in the baking soda and flour. Fold in the M&Ms and pretzels
I greatly enjoyed adding the of ingredients....pretzels

Mini M&Ms next

And finally the white chocolate chips 
3. Chill the dough for at least 30 minutes
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x9 inch cake pan with cooking spray. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until lightly golden. Allow to cool before cutting....good luck waiting that long :) 
Ready to bake! 













No comments:

Post a Comment