Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

New Year, New Recipes

I may be a week late, but now that the (extensive) Christmas recap is over (although it looks like it was greatly enjoyed, which I'm always thrilled to see), I can officially usher in the second year of my blog. Wow, can't believe it's already been a year since I kicked things off with this utterly addictive apple sauce?!

I've had a blast cooking and sharing my creations with you over the past year, and the fun's just getting started. Because my friends and family know me so very well, Christmas brought with it an assortment of new kitchen toys for me to play with. I kind of felt like a kid again...or at least a very nerdy adult :) And, to make my kitchen-accessory-filled-Christmas even better, I made a post-Christmas trip with TF to visit his mom. Admittedly, this is a weird thing to be excited about, but she not only owns a kitchen store, but for the last couple of years she's let TF and his brother raid it as part of their Christmas present....and guess who got to help this year! I was allowed to pick out a few things as well, which made the trip even sweeter. I'll get back to this trip in more detail in a future post, but for now, time for my first baking foray of the new year.

Over the weekend, I gathered with friends for a little celebration to welcome the new year. Our hosts for the evening had the grand idea of jazzing up our gathering, and bringing an air of sophistication to the evening, by making it a fancy cocktail night. Genius. To accompany the fine drinks, I volunteered (as is my custom) to bring a baked good. Since I bake for them a lot, I am constantly trying to outdo my previous self. I'd bought a bag of toffee chips during the holiday season that had gone unused and served as my inspiration for my first run at toffee-inspired baking.

Breaking in my new Anthropologie apron and measuring cups


Toffee Oat Butterscotch Cookies


Ingredients
Adapted from Annie's Eats

  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
  • 3/4 cup butterscotch chips
  • 1/4 cup toffee bits
Preparation

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 F and line baking sheets with parchment paper
  2. In a bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Stir to blend, and set aside
  3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter and sugars and beat on medium-high speed until light and smooth, about 2-3 minutes
  4. Beat in the egg until incorporated. Blend in the vanilla. With the mixer on low speed, mix in the dry ingredients just until incorporated. With a spatula, fold in the oats, butterscotch chips and toffee bits until evenly combined
  5. Drop scoops of dough (about 2 Tbsps each) onto the prepared baking sheets, a few inches apart. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until just set and light golden, rotating the pans halfway through baking. Let cool on the pans about 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely
The hosts for the evening loved my latest creation. Starting off the new year with high praise, that's how I like to roll.






No comments:

Post a Comment