Pages

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Super Bowl Treats Part III

In the third and final installment of my Super Bowl snack series, I present one of my favorite holiday dessert recipes. 


For the past five or so years, my family Christmas gatherings have included butterscotch balls. I don't remember the exact moment that my taste buds first crossed paths with them, but it was love at first taste. I do remember my aunt cautioning me against eating too many, telling me that they were very sugary and I would be sick. I could not be deterred. I love sugar and routinely make myself sick from bad food choices (you'd think after almost 27 years I'd get it together, but alas it continues), and my relationship with these delightful little treats is no different. 


A few years ago I requested the recipe so that I could try my hand at them and not have to wait for Christmas to roll around again. I'm not sure what happened to the recipe, but I lost it and the the dream of making them once the Christmas decorations were packed away and didn't think about it again, until this year. My cousin (who's assumed the role of making them the last couple years) sent some down for Christmas and (as per usual) I had way too many. I was really beyond out of control this year (I also believe they were the force behind my Wii bowling championship). Nonetheless, I decided I must learn to make them. Given my history with them, I knew I had to make them to share with others rather than keeping them in the home. Enter the Super Bowl party. I won't pretend like I didn't have a few...or 5...while preparing them, but silverlining, way better than me eating two dozen!


Butterscotch Balls





Ingredients [made about 2 dozen for me, depends on how big you make the balls]
  • 3 C Rice Krispies finely crushed
  • 1 1/4 stick of margarine, melted
  • 1 lb. powdered sugar
  • 2 C. chunky peanut butter
  • 12 oz. butterscotch chips

Preparation 
  1. Combine ingredients (rice krispies, margarine, sugar, peanut butter) and form into balls
  2. Chill balls on cookie sheet while you make coating (I also stored them in an airtight container overnight and coated them the next day, which works too)
  3. Melt butterscotch chips in double boiler while stirring
  4. Dip peanut butter balls in butterscotch.  Place on wax paper to cool


No comments:

Post a Comment