Pages

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Super Bowl Treats Part I

Growing up, my dad and I routinely watched the Super Bowl together. As both a child of the 90s and a Dallas Cowboys fan, I often enjoyed the game more than the food. Since it's been over a decade since my Cowboys have played in the big game, the food has become what I look forward to most each year. This year I found myself attending a super bowl party which meant I got to try out several new recipes. 


In the first of a three part series, I present brownie cupcakes:



Brownie Cupcakes

Ingredients [makes 12]
  • 2 one ounce squares of unsweetened chocolate
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 2/3 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
Preparation
  1. In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder.
  2. Using a microwave, melt the butter and chocolate at 50% power until smooth.
  3. Beat in the eggs and the sugar and vanilla
  4. Add the flour mixture, mix well and pour into lined muffin tins.
  5. Bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes.
  6. *optional: add an unwrapped chocolate candy to each center before baking.

The icing wasn't part of the original recipe, but I added it as I thought they needed a little something to finish them off. It was a delightful touch!

Basic Buttercream
A la Martha Stewart

Ingredients
  • 12 ounces (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 pound confectioners' sugar, sifted
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preparation
  1. Beat butter with a mixer on medium-high speed until pale and creamy, about 2 minutes.
  2. Reduce speed to medium. Add sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, beating after each addition, about 5 minutes. (After every 2 additions, increase speed to high, and beat for 10 seconds, then reduce speed to medium-high). Add vanilla, and beat until buttercream is smooth. Use immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. (Bring to room temperature, and beat on low speed until smooth before using.)







No comments:

Post a Comment