Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Valentine's Truffles for TF

As I confessed in my last post, I'm not a natural fan of Valentine's Day, but in recent years I've taken to baking my way through it. This year was no different. After getting Grandmom's gift taken care of, it was time to move onto my other two Valentines-Alicia and TF. As is unfortunately becoming my custom, the baking got put off until the night before, causing me to spend the evening in a veritable tizz. So many reasons I live alone...At least the end result was good. 


Of everything I made, I was most proud of my treats for TF. They took forever (or at least it felt like it because they had to be done in stages) but they were very well received which is all I really care about in a finished product. I stumbled upon the winning recipe almost by accident (this is why I love blogs, you never know what you're going to find) and I had to muster some courage to give it a go. When it comes to desserts, I've never met anyone that loves cookie dough as much as TF. Being the good girlfriend that I am, I am always on the prowl for recipes that allow me to incorporate cookie dough in non-traditional ways (ie: the cookie). I tried a recipe very similar to this one about 2 years ago and it was a major fail. Having all but blocked that failure from memory, I don't entirely remember what the finished product looked like, but I know it was not good. I've come to learn the hard way that eggless cookie dough recipes can be very hit and miss. More often than not, it's a fine line between ending up with something that actually tastes like cookie dough and ending up with a flour-dominated look a like that makes you want to gag. Since my earlier attempts have always fallen in the latter category, I was fearful the same would be the case again. It was not and I received pats...and a very happy boyfriend.


Cookie Dough Truffles (I couldn't resist incorporating some festive sprinkles)

Finished and ready to be devoured

The finished truffles were topped with another TF favorite, nonpereils (recipe here) but made with Ghiradelli dark chocolate instead of carob chips this time

I also saw this card on Pinterest and couldn't help trying to replicate it!


Cookie Dough Truffles
[Recipe adapted from Love and Olive Oil]
Yields 3-4 dozen (I only made a half batch and it still made plenty)

Ingredients
  • 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/3 cup milk or soy milk
  • 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 14 oz dark chocolate candy coating (I swear by Ghirardelli chips for this)
Preparation
  1. Beat butter and sugars and in large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add milk and vanilla. Stir in flour, baking soda and salt and mix on low speed (or by hand) until incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips
  2. Cover and chill dough for 1 hour
  3. When dough is firm enough to handle (it may help to lightly flour your hands), form dough into 1" balls and arrange on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper
  4. Place sheets in freezer and let chill for 30 minutes (this is extremely important and helps tremendously with coating them)
  5. Melt chocolate candy coating in a double boiler or in microwave according to package directions
  6. Using forks or a dipping tool, dip cookie balls into candy coating to cover. Tap fork on side of pan to remove any excess coating, and return to waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Chill until set. Store, chilled, in an airtight container for up to 1 week...they won't last that long though :)

No comments:

Post a Comment