Pages

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Hark the Raven

Happy Super Bowl day all! I'd be lying if I said I was overcome with excitement and anticipation for the arrival of this day. As a lover of football, I'm always partly sad when the Super Bowl finally comes as I know the countdown to September is officially on and I must prepare to weather the long, seven month stretch until football returns to my life. It pains me to even think about the long, hot, football-less summer that lays before me. I also rarely have a cheering stake in the game. This year I'm a little more invested than usual as I've always considered Baltimore my adopted homeland, but since my team (the Dallas Cowboys) haven't made it to the super bowl since the days of my youth, I lack the level of enthusiasm of many of my relatives over this evening's game. 

With that being said, I will still be adorning purple and black at the super bowl party I'm heading to this afternoon and, more importantly, I will be using the opportunity to unveil two new Oreo-infused recipes. So excited!

Oreos are one of those things that I always forget how much I love until I encounter them, like Cheetos. Actually scratch that, I think about Cheetos far too regularly for a person of my age and eating habits. I can't even keep those little orange devils in the house. Although I manage to forget about Oreos for long period of times, lately I've been dying to incorporate them into my baking. And finally the opportunity was has arrived! I present two you, two amazing uses for Oreos:


Chocolate Chip Oreo Cookie Bars


Ingredients
Adapted from Picky Palate
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 cup mini chocolate chips
  • 12 Oreo cookies, crushed
  • 20 Hershey’s Kisses, unwrapped


Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and cover an 8×8 inch baking pan with foil
2. In a large bowl, combine butter and sugars until well-blended, at least 2 minutes
3. Add egg and vanilla, mixing to combine. Then add dry ingredients, chocolate chips and Oreo cookie pieces, stirring to combine
4. Press 1/3 of the dough into the bottom of the prepared baking pan

5. Top with 4 rows of Hershey’s Kisses 5 per row
6. Top with remaining dough and gently press to cover all kisses
7. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until lightly golden. Let cool for 30 minutes, cut into squares and serve

Double Chocolate Oreo Cookies

Ingredients
Inspiration found here

  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 4 ounces coarsely chopped semisweet chocolate
  • 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, sliced
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 12 Oreo cookies, crushed

Preparation
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside

2. Melt coarsely chopped chocolate and butter slices in a small pot over medium heat, stirring frequently

3. Combine melted chocolate/butter in a large mixing bowl with sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Beat at medium speed until combined

4. Gradually add in flour mixture thirds, mixing after each batch and then until well combined. Fold in chocolate chips and chill dough for at least 20 minutes. [I'm obsessed with chilling the dough now, it makes such a difference]

5. Preheat oven to 325 and cover a baking sheet with parchment paper 

6. Using a tablespoon, scoop out dough, roll into balls, and roll balls in Oreo crumbles, repeating until all dough is gone

7. Place dough balls 2 inches apart on baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes (depending on size). Make sure not to over-bake as it will cause the cookies to dry out. Cool on wire racks when done

Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment