Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Always Time for a Brownie

Hi, my name is Gian and I love a good brownie. [Readers answering in unison, "Hi Gian."] My love for brownies, as with my love for most sweets, has been a present force throughout most of my life. In fact, Sister reminded me a couple years ago (as I complained about how gross it was that TF licks the spoon, and sometimes bowl, after mixing up brownies) that during my uber awkward teen years I used to love a good brownie batter. What the what?! I completely doubted her. After some prompting, I re-tasted it. Turns out, Sister speaks the truth...this time at least. 

In addition to reintroducing me to my love of brownie batter, TF also taught me to love gooey brownies. This too was met with some resistance at first, but eventually I came around. I made my first gooey brownie during Snowmegeddon circa winter 2010 (or as I like to call it, the last time I saw snow). It was both a wonderful and awful time (I can only handle about two days inside before I begin to go stir crazy), but even as a budding baker, I knew there was no better way to cope than to bake my way through it. 

And thus I made these:



Sure they were out of the box, but filling my insides with warm, chocolate gooeyness was just the cure to get me through life inside an igloo. Although there is no snow here today (because winter hates me and insists on happening everywhere I'm not), it is TF's birthday. And even though he's not here, it seemed only fitting that I make this newly discovered recipe in his honor today. 

Side note: I had some fun making him a baby-picture-laden present and couldn't help but share this one..

He has so many gems, it's taken everything in me not to share more

Nonetheless, I'm usually not a fan of desserts that claim to be healthier than their original counterparts, but this one actually held true to its claims. TWIST?! And, because it is the last day of February after all, it gave me the opportunity to use up some of my remaining Valentine's M&Ms. 

Skinnier Brownies A-Go


Ingredients
Inspiration found here
  • 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 2 ounces chocolate, chopped
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup almond milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/4 cup white chocolate chips

Preparation
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F
  2. Place butter and chopped chocolate into a medium sized microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for about 45 seconds. Mine began to pop fairly early on, so I recommend stirring the mixture about every 15 seconds or so
  3. Stir the mixture until it is smooth; set aside to cool slightly
  4. The the bowl of a stand mixer, combine sugar, milk, vanilla, egg yolks and egg and mix on medium until combined
  5. Add chocolate/butter mixture and blend for about 1 minute
  6. Combine flour, cocoa,and salt into a medium bowl and stir with a whisk
  7. Add dry mixture to the wet mixture and blend until well combined
  8. Fold in white chocolate chips
  9. Grease brownie ban with cooking spray and spread batter evenly into pan. Top with fun M&Ms
  10. Bake for 15-20 minutes...15 is you like them the TF way:)


I leave you today with memories from a happier, more snow-clad time...

               Always prepared for any weather situation, Bax rocked her red puffer coat all week.

Bax loves the snow, but not as much as Penny.

Sister and I with our puppies. Bella had to adorn a coat at all times so we didn't lose her. This was not her favorite time.

Despite the fact that this was my first winter on the east coast (and I'd never shoveled a driveway a day in my life), I shoveled like a champ....and hated it.





No comments:

Post a Comment