Pages

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

O.M.V[alentine]...Spreading the Love Part 1

Just when you thought I was dead, I'm back in the kitchen [and on the blog]! Since my last post I took to my bed for a bit, not because of my impending birthday and march towards 30, but for actual sickness. Thankfully, it was just a cold rather than the flu, so I recovered (more or less) fairly quickly. Ever since law school I've sworn by flu shots. I had my first and only bout with the flu during my first year of law school and thought it would be the death of me. Ever since then, despite my hatred of needles, I've made myself take the plunge each year. Nonetheless, after a week of feeling awful I was back to moderate health just in time for Valentine's Day festivities. 

Last year I shared with you my disdain for all that is Valentine's Day in a series of posts dedicated to baking for some of my favorite people. This year, I decided to put a new spin on things. I grabbed Valentine's Day by the hearts and said "bring it!" I was committed to going all in this year: hearts, glitter, and love runneth over! I warned TF about my new outlook on the day of love and he accepted my "trial run," as I took to calling it, anxious to see if I was capable of being a "real" girl [I should caveat that these are my words, not his]. So, without further ado, I present to you, my first attempt at embracing Valentine's Day as though I have a heart the size of Texas!

Kicking the spreading of love and glitter off, I went crazy during a weekend trip to Michael's. Mother and I love a good trip to Michael's. We are at our best during the Christmas season, but stumbling onto a good Valentine's Day sale was a close second. I stocked up on all kinds of craft-making fun and could not wait for my projects to begin. 

Post-shopping. Valentine's craft goodies runneth over


As per usual, I had grossly underestimated the amount of time I had to complete my gifts. Sadly, my carefully laid plans always end in a crazed furry. This time wasn't nearly as bad as Christmas, but between still being on the mend and flying to OKC on Valentine's afternoon, I often worried if there were enough hours in the day. But alas, in true Gian form, I rose to the occasion and assumed the role of Valentine's Santa in the officina and among my friends. 

My favorite way to deliver holiday cheer: seasonally appropriate goodie bags. If I liked children I would've followed in mother's footsteps and been an elementary school teacher. 


First treat in the goodie bag: Golden Oreo Truffles


Ingredients
Recipe courtesy of Sally's Baking Addiction

  • 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
  • 1 package Golden Oreos, finely crushed
  • 1 bar of white baking chocolate (or almond bark as it's sometimes called on the package)
  • Festive sprinkles
Preparation

1. Break Oreos into quarters and combine with softened cream cheese in food processor. Blend until well combined.


I may or may not have eaten several of these as a cooking snack....
  
Ready to blend away

2. Shape into balls and place on a plate or parchment clad baking sheet and freeze for at least 30 minutes. Because I insisted on eating several of the Oreos as a baking snack, my dough was a little mushier than it should've been. The time in the freezer was a miracle worker! 

3. Once dough has hardened, but prior to removing balls from the freezer, melt white chocolate in a microwave safe bowl according to directions on package.

4. When chocolate is ready, remove dough balls from freezer and dip one at a time into chocolate. Top with sprinkles immediately after removing from chocolate and place on wax paper until hardened. Store in fridge.

Perfection

Next on the list was a twist on a new favorite. I made these DELICIOUSLY ADDICTING peanut butter cookies again, but instead of incorporating chocolate chips, I topped with milk and dark chocolate candy hearts as soon as they came out of the oven. 
Peanut Butter and Hearts

I made these last during a whirlwind night of baking and my kitchen was a thousand degrees, so they had to be rushed to a cooler part of the apartment in order to cool properly. It was touch and go if they'd make it, but they rallied into the yummy goodness I knew they were capable of.

Once cooled it was time for packaging

Some went in the treat bags to my friends, but the majority go wrapped up in this heart shaped bowl as a gift for m papa. He always makes sure sister and I have a valentine (and he was forced to haul me to and from the airport) so I wanted to include him in my holiday baking.

And last but not least, it just wouldn't be Valentine's Day if I didn't break out the V-day M&Ms. As the finishing touch on my treat bags, I made:

Double Chocolate M&M Cookies

Ingredients
Adapted from this version
  • 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup Hershey's Dark Cocoa
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup Valentine M&Ms
Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 325 F

2. Place 2/3 cups chocolate chips in a glass container and microwave at 30 second intervals until fully melted, stirring in between. Set aside

3. In a stand mixer combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt on low until well blended

4. Add butter and sugars and mix for 1 minute

5. Pour in the melted chocolate, then add egg and vanilla, mix well

6.Add the white chocolate  chips and mix on low until fully incorporated

7. Then add M&M's and mix gently by hand 

8. As I've mentioned in my last couple cookie posts, I'm obsessed with chilling my dough before baking. So, chill dough for 30 minutes in refrigerator ..or if you're in a hurry in the freezer for 15 minutes

9. Scoop teaspoon-sized balls on greased baking sheets about 2 inches apart

10. Bake at 325F for 10-12 minutes or until the tops have begun to crack and a tooth pick inserted in the middle comes out with moist crumbs


Stay turned for part 2 coming soon....the V-day love continues!

 
 

 





No comments:

Post a Comment