Pages

Sunday, February 24, 2013

O.M.V[alentine]...Spreading the Love Part 2

And just when you thought Valentine's Day was over, I'm back with part 2! 

In my last post I shared my plans to grab Valentine's Day by the hearts and glitter and embrace all the lovey-mushiness it had to offer. And so I went for. I was all in and not missing a beat! And, since I lucked out and V-day coincided with my last federal holiday til Memorial Day (I hate this lull in the year) I was OKC bound by mid-afternoon for a long weekend and part 2 of my Valentine's festivities. 

I kicked off the day with a Valentine's themed ensamble, complete with fun socks that I couldn't wait to show off at airport security

After a delightful, non-stopped flight on my favorite airline (SW), which came complete with free in-flight wine (or any drink of one's choosing) as their gift to their valentines, I was greeted gate side (or as close as non-passengers are allowed to get to the gates in our post 9-11 world) by TF. Since I got in just in time for diner, TF had made preparations. Opting to stay in this year. TF put together a delightful spread based on his new commitment to healthy eating (which I'm LOVING, most of the time). I served as assistant so we could eat quicker, and because I still can't seem to grasp the concept of a sharp knife, I promptly sliced my thumb, unleashing hysterics as the blood began to crown. TF was moderately unsympathetic, but he did quickly acquire band aids to remove the blood from my sight (I hate the sight of blood). I rallied and soon dinner time was upon us.

It was an assortment of my favorite things: color, mashed sweet potatoes, and wine

TF sent the recipes to me and I decided to share my favorite one. It was so good I not only miss it already, but I hope to make it again very soon. It thrills me that TF and I are having more of an overlap in the foods we consume, finally!

Orzo Salad


Ingredients
Makes 6-8 serving
Based on this Food Network Version
  • 1 1/2 cups orzo
  • 1 medium yellow squash, sliced and halved
  • 1Tbsp lemon zest
  • 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1 cup quartered grape tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese 
  • 1 cup peas and carrots (we used frozen, but fresh would work too...carrots would just need to be cooked longer)
  • 2 Tbsps olive oil
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
  • 1 tsp kosher salt

Preparation
1. Combine 3 cups water, orzo, 1 tsp salt, and lemon zest and bring to a boil in a large saucepan 

2. Reduce the heat to medium, add squash, peas and carrots. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes

3. Uncover and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the orzo is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat

4. Stir in 2 Tbsps olive oil, tomatoes, parsley, and lemon juice. Season with additional salt and pepper. Plate and top with feta.


And because I didn't cook any more during my trip, I present to you the rest of my Valentine's weekend, as told through iphone pictures:

TF gifted me with two of my favs: Godiva chocolates and wine

On Saturday we took a mini-road trip to Kansas City. We're basically roadtrip masters by this point.

Colorful Mexican fare for lunch, because I've all but given up finding good Mexican food on the east coast

Dinner was AMAZING. I kicked things off with a fun beverage: the Razzle Dazzle (best name ever!!) I loved this place (Beer Kitchen).

Build your own whole wheat mac and cheese (I added brussels sprouts, because I love them almost as much as I love mac and cheese). Best menu idea ever.

And TF shared his sweet potato fries (my other food love/obsession) with me

And because I love a good photo op, I leave you with this gem from our trip to the outlet mall. Hey Amelia!



No comments:

Post a Comment