Pages

Monday, October 8, 2012

And then Pumpkin Met Risotto

Last week was one of those weeks where I felt like I was just trying to make it through each day without anything else going wrong and Tuesday was the worst of the worse. It was raining when I awoke (never a good sign). The only silver lining was that it just so happened that I'd acquired a new pair of rain boots over the weekend and was dying to break them in. As I began my walk to the metro,e in nothing short of monsoon-like rain, I was thankful that they came into my life not a moment too soon! Despite my attempt to have a decent outlook on the day, my mood was soon shot to pieces when I arrived at the metro to a crowd of people.

Unlike many in the District, I've often tried to keep an open mind and fairly good opinion about the metro and its workers. Not today. I'm oddly aggressive in crowd situations and pushed my way to the front, only to learn that the workers were not being very forthcoming with information as to why we were not being allowed to enter the station. The only thing worse than waiting, is not knowing why you're waiting! This went on for sometime (it was also still pouring down) and with each passing minute I began to get increasingly irritated. Not only had I actually planned on being early to work today (early for me is arriving before 9), but I also had a meeting to call into at 9:30 so time was more of the essence than usual. After standing in a huff (and starting to feel sicker by the minute while doing so) for a good 20 minutes, with no freedom in sight, I threw up my soaking wet hands and began the trek home.

By the time I arrived back in my apartment I'd spent a solid hour out in the rain and was a sweaty, hysterical mess. I cleaned up and I ended up working from home for a second day in a row. Of course, in keeping with the theme of the week, things did not get better, as I'd expected, once home. Instead, my work computer decided to betray me like Judas, yet again. I really hate that thing and cannot wait for it to be replaced (this is actually a realistic dream as they're in the process of replacing everyone's laptops...my name is just apparently on the bottom of the list). I got completely locked out of the network and had to spend the day working on my personal computer and using webmail (I hate webmail). Ugh. I was also late to the meeting because of the rain fiasco. Luckily, I work with understanding people. The only good thing that came out of the day was that I got to try a second crockpot recipe: pumpkin risotto.

This was my first time making a risotto, but I'd heard that doing it in a crockpot (rather than on the stove with all the incessant stiring) was the best way to go. In keeping with the theme of the day, making this dish was not without its issues. I'd acquired two pie pumpkins at the farmer's market over the weekend and was all set to finally start using real (rather than canned) pumpkin in my dishes. Well, that plan was shot when I couldn't get a knife to cut into either of them! I tried for a bit, but after a while I became fearful that I'd cut a finger off (and mother would joyfully sing "told you so") and said to hell with it and broke open one of the cans I had stockpiled. Desipte my inability to use a real pumpkin, the dish still turned out devine and was truly the highlight of my otherwise miserable day!


Crock Pot Pumpkin Risotto



Ingredients
[Adapted from Chaos Served Daily...a fitting name for my week]
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 2 cups Arborio rice
  • 6 cups vegetable stock
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • ¼ cup dry white wine
  • ½ cup grated Parmesan

Preparation 
  1. Combine olive oil, onion, rice, and stock in crockpot. Cook on high for 2-4 hours, until rice is tender (Mine took a little over 2 hours)
  2. Stir in pumpkin, wine, and cheese before serving. Sprinkle each serving with fresh parsley and serve (I also made some fresh brussel sprouts to have on the side as well)

No comments:

Post a Comment