Pages

Monday, October 1, 2012

Pumpkin Muffin Lovin'

Hello October! In addition to loving fall, I love, love, love the month of October!I've always been jealous of people with birthdays or occassions in this glorious month. I love it so much I feel as though it should be commerated with me receiving some sort of gift. Maybe I should just start giving myself gifts during October?? Ah the joys of being an adult...

Well, when not thinking about how to bestoy gifts upon myself, I'm working my way through my plethora of pumpkin recipes. Will I make it? It's impossible to know at this point. I was able to cross another one off the list last week though as we had a morning breakfast/baby shower at work. I'm not a huge shower person (I actually don't care for them at all...especially when they revolve around babies). I know what you're thinking, and yes, I'm dead on the inside (or at the very least am void of any sort of maternal gene).

Nonetheless, I eagerly volunteered to bring a baked good. I figure if I'm ever going to get through all these recipes, I can't be picky. And so, I whipped up a double batch of these bad boys and was given the praise I craved. This was my first time baking for my new teammates and I wanted nothing more out of the day than to have my creation be well received. It was, and I was thrilled. And, by doubling the recipe, I was able to pay my papa with the extras in exchange for serving as a bodyguard/accompanier when I ventured to the DMV. There's officially no place scarier, but at least I no longer have an Oklahoma license or, more importantly, have to fear not being able to obtain alcohol (my license was set to expire next month so I was forced to get my act together).

Even when not being used for bribery, these muffins are the perfect treat on a crisp autumn morning. Happy Fall!!

Pumpkin Oat Streusel Muffins


Ingredients
[Original from Mr. Quaker, although I made a few changes. Doubling recipe makes about 2 dozen]

STREUSEL
  • 1/4 cup Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
  • 1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon margarine or butter, melted
  • 1/8 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
MUFFINS
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
  • 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup Pure Pumpkin
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
Preparation
  1. Heat oven to 400°F. Line medium muffin cups with paper baking cups or spray bottoms only with cooking spray
  2. For streusel, combine all ingredients in small bowl; mix well. Set aside
  3. For muffins, combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and baking soda in large bowl; mix well. In medium bowl, combine pumpkin, milk, applesauce, and egg; blend well. Add to dry ingredients all at once; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not overmix)
  4. Fill muffin cups almost full. Sprinkle with reserved streusel, patting gently
  5. Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool muffins in pan on wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pan. Serve warm

No comments:

Post a Comment