Pages

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Summer Veggies

I have been working on this post for an embarrassingly long amount of time. I honestly made this recipe the week of the Fourth of July. See, way too long ago! To make matters worse, I was in OKC last weekend and even worked on it there, determined for once to keep the recipes coming while out of the District. Alas, as you can, I failed. Luckily, summer time is still upon us (never thought I'd utter that phrase) and all the featured veggies are still plentiful at the local farmers markets. 

Before diving into today's delicious post, I realized that in my excitement over the last couple of recipes, I never made mention of the new layout. Those of you that stop by frequently probably noticed something was up as it's vastly different from what I used to be working with. Basically, I had grown tired of my previous backdrop and decided to spice things up a bit. Have a look around, hope you enjoy the new design!

And now to the main event. As I've gotten older and my eating tastes have evolved, something I have truly come to appreciate are in-season fruits and vegetables. I've gushed about my love for colorful fruits and veggies in some previous posts (ie: blueberries, asparagus, zucchini) and for dinner one day I decided to fully embrace my love of all things fresh and colorful by creating a medly on my plate. The result was a fun and colorful summer sampler, which could also be used to spice up your summer cookout!

Corn on the Cob, Zucchini, and Deviled Eggs



Ingredients
(These can all be adjusted based on how many you're cooking for)

  • 2 hard boiled eggs 
  • Fat free mayonnaise (I prefer Hellmann's made with olive oil)
  • 1 medium zucchini
  • 1/4 cup red onion, sliced
  • Corn on the cob, shucked and washed
  • 1 tsp sugar (increase slightly if cooking more than 4 ears of corn)
Preparation
  1. Fill a large pot with water and about a tsp of sugar and ears of corn, bring to a boil
  2. In a smaller pot, fill with water and eggs. After bringing it to a boil, let boil at medium-high for 10 minutes. Then, remove from heat and cover for an additional 10 minutes
  3. Once eggs are cooked, rinse with cold water and refrigerate until chilled
  4. When corn has come to a boil, allow to boil rapidly for 3 minutes, then remove from heat and cover. The longer you let it sit in the water, the more tender it will become (10 minutes is good if you're in a hurry...my Grandmother, from whom I got this recipe, lets her's sit up to an hour sometimes)
  5. Slice zucchini lengthwise in thin, ribbon strips
  6. Stir-fry zucchini and red onion slices in olive oil with salt and pepper (to taste) for 3-5 minutes or until veggies reach desired level of softness
  7. After eggs have chilled, peal and slice in half, separating the yolks into a bowl
  8. In bowl, combine egg yolks with mayonnaise and salt and pepper. [I hate mayonnaise more than anything, so I always use as little as possible; basically just enough to get everything to stick together. Deviled eggs are very versatile in terms of what you can put in them, so this part is really dependent more on preference than anything else].
  9. Distribute egg yolk mixture evenly among the egg whites, top with if desired
  10. Plate and enjoy! 





No comments:

Post a Comment