Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

Burger Time

One of the few things I enjoy about the summer season is grilling out. Although I don't own a grill of my own, I am fortunate enough to have friends (and family) that both own grills and enjoy using them. I gave up red meat four years ago this summer and since then, grill season has required a little creativity on my part.

Determined not to spend another grill season at the mercy of frozen veggie patties, I've spend the past couple of months trying my hand at various bean burger recipes. Unfortunately, my efforts have not been as successful as I would like. While the burgers (profiled here and here) have always been good in flavor, they have held together terribly during the cooking process.

As is becoming the norm of late, this was my only weekend in the District for the month and I was determined to make the most of my cooking opportunities. A month or so back, I acquired a can of black eyed peas at market with the intention of trying Alicia's burger recipe with them. Between my lack of time and previous failings in the burger department, I had yet to get around to doing so and decided Sunday was the perfect time to go for it. I was a little nervous as I'd been stalking this recipe FOREVER and was afriad of it not turning out the way it did for Alicia. She used to bring the leftover patties to lunch and I would just about drool over how good it looked. I could only hope my own patties would look as good.

Because I don't like to eat any food straight (ie: with no accompaniment...yes, another weird food issue of mine) and didn't really want to deal with getting buns, I began scanning the interweb to find a good side item for my burger patties. It wasn't long before I stumbled upon this recipe on one of my favorite food blogs for zucchini fries. I was instantly sold as I'd acquired some fresh zuchinni at the farmers market that moring and had yet to decide what to do with it. Summer perfection.


Black Eyed Pea Burger
Adapted from Alicia

Ingredients

Burgers
Yields 4 burger patties
  • 1 15 oz can black eyed peas (rinsed and drained) 
  • 1 red onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 1/4 cups homemade bread crumbs (recipe below)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Preparation
  1. Heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in pan.  Add onion and garlic, and cook covered on medium for about 5-7 minutes or until onions are soft
  2. Add the cumin and thyme. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.  Add the beans and salt/pepper to taste, then cover and cook for another 2-3 minutes
  3. Transfer the bean mixture to a food processor and pulse until smooth
  4. Transfer the bean mixture to a medium bowl and mix in egg and bread crumbs. Form into four patties
  5. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in pan.  Place the patties in the pan and cook on each side until golden brown
  6. Top and serve as desired
Homemade Bread Crumbs
Yields about 4 cups
  • 5 1/2 slices of 15 grain bread (this is just what I had on hand and needed to use up)
Preparation
  1. Pre-heat oven to 350F
  2. Lay out bread on baking sheet
  3. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until dried out
  4. Tear bread into large pieces and process until desired texture
*Extra bread crumbs can be saved in a ziplock bag in the freezer for future use


Baked Zucchini Fries
Original found here
Ingredients
  • 1 medium zucchini, sliced into skinny sticks
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs (I used some of the ones made above)
  • 2 T grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 tsp dried basil
  • Pinch of dried oregano
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
Preparation
  1. Preheat oven to 425°
  2. In a small bowl, beat egg
  3. Put the bread crumbs, basil, oregano, garlic powder and cheese on a plate and mix well
  4. Dip the zucchini sticks in the egg and then into the bread crumb mixture, make sure all sides get coated well. Place the sticks on the prepared baking sheet
  5. Bake at 425° for about 20 minutes or until golden brown and a little crispy. Serve warm

No comments:

Post a Comment