Pages

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Pecans Meet Bananas

How did I spend 27 years hating pecans?! They are my new favorite thing. In the span of one weekend I went from pecan hater to pecan obsessor. Seriously. Yet another reason I want it to be fall, stat.

The pecan entered my life during my weekend in Cleveland about a month ago. Lizzy (one of my oldest friends and hostess extrodenarie for the weekend) and I were watching an episode of "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" and it was all about pecans. At first I was none too thrilled with the theme, but by the end, as they were closing with a segment on butter pecan ice cream, I suddenly found myself craving the delectable nut! Fortunately for me, Lizzy took me to a delightful ice cream parlor/candy shop up the street from her abode that and I got to put my craving to rest. I got some delightful pecan clusters (for later) and my first ever scoop of butter pecan ice cream. SO GOOD! It was love at first bite. I'm currently obsessed with getting my hands on butter pecan every time the opportunity presents itself. It's my new favorite summer game.

Cleveland: About to try butter pecan for the first time


Heaven in a cup

Richmond: the butter pecan tasting continued with Sister

When I'm not hunting down pecans blended with ice cream, I'm working to encorporate them into my baking. Unfortunately, since time has gotten away from me of late (and I'm constantly finding myself at BWI...seriously, it's like my second home) I haven't had much time to bake for fun. Luckily, one perk of having to be shuttled to and from the airport is that I can use the opportunity to pay my papa in baked goods. As I prepared to head to OKC for Memorial Day, I decided it was time to try my hand at a banana pecan bread. Hello yumminess.


Banana Pecan Bread
Adapted from this walnut version

Ingredients
  • 1/3 cup apple sauce
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup mashed bananas
  • 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 cup hot water
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
Preparation
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F 
  2. In a large bowl, beat oil and honey together. Add eggs, and mix well. Stir in bananas and vanilla. Stir in flour and salt. Add baking soda to hot water, stir to mix, and then add to batter. Blend in chopped nuts. Spread batter into a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan
  3. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes. Cool on wire rack for 1/2 hour before slicing
First baking with pecans = success!

No comments:

Post a Comment