Pages

Monday, July 16, 2012

Basil Pesto and Veggies

Sophomore year of college was the first time I was forced to start cooking for myself. I was living in my first apartment, sans any roommates (except my beloved Shepherd, then a mischevious puppy) and since I had neither the money nor the desire to eat out every night, I had to learn how to bring the food in my pantry and refridgerator to life. I can still remember the first meal I made on my own: parmesan pasta (from a package), broccoli, and sausage (the link kind sliced up, not the breakfast kind), with a glass of apple juice on the side. I was very proud, even taking a picture of it (as is my custom). It was a meal I'd had many times growing up (recall that Mother is very anti-cooking) and it reminded me of home. A lot has changed since that first meal (both in terms of skill level and taste), but my desire for comfort food every now and then still lives within me.


The other day, finding myself with some fresh veggies in need of use before going bad, I turned to a trusted favorite: basil pesto. I'll caveat this recipe by noting that I did not make the pesto from scratch (something that I've been wanting to do forever) but definitely will be doing so very soon as fresh basil runneth over this time of year.


I discovered basil pesto during my junior year of college, oddly enough, while dining with my aunt on a visit to the east coast, and have been hooked ever since. There are very few version of pesto that I don't care for (the ones I dislike usually involve olives) and since I no longer eating pasta that frequently, I sometimes forget just how much I love the substance! This recipe was an easy and quick post-work dish to whip up. And it was great fuel for my long run the following morning.

Basil Pesto and Veggies


Ingredients [makes 2 servings]
  • 2 cups whole wheat thin spaghetti
  • 1 cup fresh broccoli florets
  • 1 grilled portobello mushroom, diced (I had one left over from our cookout over the weekend)
  • 1/4 cup diced onions
  • 8-10 cherry tomatoes, sliced
  • 2-3 Tbsp basil pesto
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • Salt and pepper (to taste)
Preparation
  1. Heat olive oil in frying pan, cook onions for 2-3 mins. Add in mushroom, cook until heated
  2. Bring pot of water for pasta to a boil. Add in pasta, cook according to package
  3. With 5-6 minutes remaining on pasta, add in broccoli
  4. Once pasta and broccoli is cooked, drain (do not rinse) and return to pot
  5. Stir in basil pesto, salt, and pepper until coated evenly. Add cooked onions, mushrooms, and tomato slices
  6. Serve, topping with cheese if desired
I served mine with a slice of whole wheat bread, topped with fresh garlic powder 
[both acquired at the local Amish market over the weekend :)]






No comments:

Post a Comment