Pages

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Chickpeas + Guac

For me, summer is all too often about finding cool and refreshing foods to eat. In keeping with my admittedly weird food rules, there are certain foods (soup in particular) that I outright refuse to touch between the months of April and September. Then there are other, less harsh, warm foods (usually pastas and the like) that I will still consume from time to time during the summer months, but definitely with less enthusiasm than I do once the weather turns chilly. But in my perfect world, with the exception of steamed crabs, I would eat cold foods all summer long.
On one particularly hot day (during the middle of our first rapid succession of 100 degree days) I was at a loss when trying to decide what to eat for dinner. I was out running errands and knew that I had nothing in the home that I desired to eat for dinner. Unfortunately, because all I cared about at the present moment was staying hydrated and keeping my face from becoming a pool of sweat, nothing sounded appealing to me. I'm not a huge fan of getting take out, especially when I'm not dining with others. I enjoy going out to restaurants and the whole experience that comes with socializing with friends and being out amongst society, but if I'm eating at home I feel like I can cook myself something much healthier, in just as much time, and for a lot less money. Thus, I decided I needed to put my thinking cap on and quick.

Once in the market, the air condition washed over me and I was able to sober up enough from the intoxicating heat to develop a solid dinner plan. This dish was ultimately born out of two desires: my love for the foods I chose (they're some of my favorites, but I can never seem to work them into as many meals as I would like) and the cool, refreshing nature of the meal, making it perfect for a scorching summer day!

Chickpea Guacamole Salad



Ingredients
Makes 4 pita pockets

  • 1 can chickpeas/garbanzo beans
  • 1 large avocado
  • 7-8 cherry tomatoes (sliced)
  • 1/2 red onion (diced)
  • Lemon juice (to taste)
  • Salt and pepper (to taste)
  • Feta cheese for topping (optional)

Preparation
  1. Rinse chickpeas in colander until foam no longer appears on them (this reduces excessive sodium intake). Allow to drain while preparing avocado
  2. Slice avocado in half, twist, and remove seed with a knife. Remove avocado halves from skin and dice
  3. In a bowl, combine avocado, onion (diced), and chickpeas. Mash with potato masher until desired texture. I wanted a chunckier salad, so I only did this for a minute or so
  4. Stir in lemon juice, plus salt and pepper, until desired taste is achieved
  5. Fill pita pocket with mixture, top with tomato slices and feta cheese before serving
*The lemon juice helps the avocado keep its color, so it was actually still good a few days later. During my second serving, I ate the mixture as a salad and it was delicious that way as well!

2 comments:

  1. This is exactly what I eat in the summer, for exactly the same reasons. :)

    ReplyDelete