Pages

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Blueberry Bonanza

Although I'm fully aware that I probably sound like a broken record at this point, I hate summer. When I was a kid I loved it, but I'm fairly certain that's because I didn't have to go to school for 3 months and could spend my days swimming and doing anything my little heart desired. As an adult, I detest it. I never go swimming and, not only do I have to spend my days cooped up in an office building, but I show up most mornings exasperated and sweat covered from trekking to the metro in my fancy clothes. Not fun. 


In an effort to keep my sanity while waiting for my beloved fall, I have been trying to focus on some of the positives of this time of year. The longer days are a delight. Bax dog and I can go for our morning and evening walks in the daylight (much better than the creepy winter mornings...thank goodness Bax is a trained assassin....not really, but she is very protective and if I gave the signal she'd cut a person) and the fruit and veggie choices abound!


Last weekend, I got a little excited about all the options while marketing and consequently now have a fridge filled with more fruit than anything else. I love fruit the most, so this excites me greatly. The only thing I love as much as fruit is being able to incorporate it into my baking. As luck would have it, my first weekend back in the District brought with it a little breakfast gathering among friends...and my discovery of a new blueberry muffin recipe!


Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins


Ingredients
Adaptation based on this one

Topping
  • 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Muffins
  • 3/4 cup fat-free (skim) milk
  • 1/4 cup apple sauce
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries



Preparation
  1. Heat oven to 400°F. Spray 12 regular-size muffin cups with cooking spray or place paper baking cup in each muffin cup. In small bowl, stir together topping ingredients; set aside
  2. In large bowl, beat milk, applesauce, honey, and egg with spoon until well blended 
  3. Stir in flours, baking powder and salt just until dry ingredients are moistened (batter will be lumpy). Gently fold in blueberries
  4. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups (cups will be full). Sprinkle with topping
  5. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and muffins are golden brown


No comments:

Post a Comment