Pages

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Kickin' It in Kansas City

Long time no see! April is flying by in a crazy blur and I can barely keep up. One day it's Easter and the next thing I know the month is nearly half over. Whatthewhat?! 

I've never been much of a fan of April. I enjoy spring, I really do, but I also know what's lurking just over the horizon...the dreaded summer, which we got a little preview of with some near 90 degree days this week. Color me not amused and enter the return of my overwhelming desire to move to Colorado. That aside, so far April is my favorite month this year?! I blame this almost entirely on the slew of fun activities that abound for me this month. 

Backtracking for a moment, after spending Easter weekend at home with the fam, I was Kansas City bound during the first week of April. Because it would just be way too simple for TF and I to actually live/work in the same city [note sarcastic tone], he recently moved from OKC and started a new job in KC. Being the wonderful girlfriend that I am, I dropped in for a bit to help him get unpacked and settled in his new abode. The visit was not without isn't fun though, which included me getting to do what I love: practice my craft in the kitchen and a trip to my favorite KC dining establishment [see photos below]

TF "let me" unpack and organize the kitchen. It was actually pretty fun (I'm weird like that) because I got to find and play with all his fun kitchen gadgets, and the OCD person in me loves to organize. I'm fairly certain that if you combined my kitchen with his I would never stop cooking. It's like my version of a toy store...that and home depot (again, another weird quirk). Nonetheless, whilst unpacking I found some adorable little dishes with candles that you could light under them to keep the contents of the dish warm (like miniature buffet trays for one). I'd forgotten about making him get them during his Christmas raid of his mom's kitchen store and couldn't wait to try them out as part of my dinner concoction:

Black Bean and Sweet Potato Veggie Baked Burritos

Ingredients
Inspiration found here

  • 6 whole wheat tortillas
  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
  • 1 medium sweet potato
  • 1/2 cup of diced white or yellow onion
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 3/4 cup shredded cheese (I used a Mexican blend, but any kind would work)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • olive oil (for basting)
  • tomatillo sauce for topping (see when TF and I made it last year)
The inside goodness pre-wrapping. It also works great to eat just like this if you want to skip the tortilla altogether (I did this on day 2 as this recipe clearly makes a ton)

Preparation

  1. Pre-heat oven to 425 F
  2. Poke a few holes in the sweet potato, wrap in a slightly damp paper towel, and microwave on high for about 6-8 minutes (this is probably my favorite trick for cooking a sweet potato quickly)
  3. Meanwhile, combine corn, onion, black beans and spices in a large skillet or wok (you know I love to use a good wok) and warm through 
  4. Once the sweet potato is done, peel and dice it before adding to the skillet/wok. Adjust spices as desired to make sure it has the right amount of flavor/spice 
  5. Next, place the tortillas on a place and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave on high for about 30 seconds.This helps keep the tortillas from cracking when you roll them in a minute
  6. Fill tortillas one at a time with veggies/beans, topping with a row of cheese. Then roll and place opening flap side down on a cookie sheet covered with foil. Top with a thin layer of olive oil. Repeat as necessary
  7. Bake at 425 F for 15 minutes, turning half way through and topping the now top side with a thin layer of olive oil. At the end, broil on HIGH for just under a minute to crisp the tortillas into a perfectly golden, crunchy shell
  8. Once done, plate and top with a layer of tomatillo sauce and serve with your favorite Mexican side item....naturally, we went with queso (which we are finally getting close to perfecting the recipe on, at which point there will be cheers of joy and I will share our masterpiece)
I conclude this post with some of my fav pics from my time in KC. Enjoy!

One of my instant favorite places, the City Market. HUGE farmers market + lots of homemade treats, all insanely cheap. My giant piece of baklava was $1

Since we didn't get to celebrate our birthdays together, TF and I did belated birthday meals. My choice: the Beer Kitchen, for their amazing fries [parm and truffle oil here, last time we got sweet potato]. Love this place.

And the best mac and cheese known to man. Did I mention that this place is within walking distance of TF's abode?! 

And just in time for the playoffs, part of my birthday present included this amazingly comfortable Thunder shirt

Lastly, because I remain proud of my handiwork, I present the bookcase/TV stand that I constructed on my own....although to be fair, I'm somewhat of a closeted craftswoman :)









No comments:

Post a Comment