Pages

Monday, April 1, 2013

Springing into Easter

Despite the constantly fluctuating temperatures, Easter time has come again. One day it's winter and the next it's spring. I know I'm going to regret thinking this come July, but sometimes I wonder if it will ever be warm again. Not only is winter refusing to leave, but Easter also decided to show its face early this year?! No wonder I never know what day it is!

After I decided to accept that Easter was coming whether it was warm or not, I then had to turn my attention to more important things...deciding what new treat would I make for Easter dinner?! Similar to my friends and co-workers, my family has developed certain expectations when it comes to my cooking. Thus, while part of me wants to go bigger and better than the time before, the other part of me doesn't want to fail. Ah the conundrums that come with being a pseudo-perfectionist. Putting fears of failure aside, I turned to my beloved Pinterest for inspiration. 

It didn't take long. Nothing says spring to me like lemon. It's cool, light, and refreshing. The perfect accompaniment to a warm spring day. I'd initially planned to make these, but I spent much of Saturday soaking in a rare spring day in the District with Mother and Sister and wasn't up to a task that grand. To compromise, I used the lemon and buttercream combo as inspiration for this:

Lemon Cake with Lemon Buttercream Frosting



Ingredients

Cake [original found here]
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 tsps baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup plain greek yogurt
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 tsps zest lemon zest
  • 2 Tbsps fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
Frosting [original found here]
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 3 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
  • Juice and zest of 1 lemon
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • Extra lemon for zest and slices to top finished cake if (optional)


Preparation1. Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees and prepare two 8x8 square pans for baking

2. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt 

3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together yogurt, sugar, eggs, lemon zest and juice, vanilla extract and vegetable oil

4. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, mixing just until evenly mixed but be careful not to over-mix

5. Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 28-30 minutes, or until a fork comes out clean


6. Let cake cool completely before putting together with frosting

7. To prepare frosting, combine butter, sugar, and salt and beat until well -combined

8. Add lemon juice, zest, and vanilla and beat until creamy (approx 5 mins)

9. Once cake is frosted as desired, top with some additional lemon zest and 3-4 thin lemon slices


Now if only spring would hurry up and get here...



No comments:

Post a Comment