Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2012

My Love Affair with Apples

Warning, my life-long love of apples has reached new heights as of late. Since I spent most of fall obsessed with all things pumpkin (beers, lattes, baked goods...it's amazing I didn't turn orange), I feel like my body is now trying to make up for all the apples I missed consuming! As a result, I've been cooking with apples every chance I get (hence my apple banana oatmeal bread and crock pot applesauce...which I made again last Monday because I loved it so much). Today, thanks to my following of Whole Foods on Twitter, I found a way to incorporate apples into my dinner and I could not be more pleased.


As a new cook, I recognize my limitations. I have "prime" cooking days and "never going to happen" cooking days. Friday and Saturday generally fall in the former category, with Thursday as a close third...especially this week. Cooking was the last thing I wanted to do when I got home today. Enter Whole Foods. When this recipe crossed my Twitter feed I couldn't not make it...quick, easy, I had all the ingredients, AND it included apples! HUGE win. It was delicious and hit the spot. My love affair with apples is stronger than ever!


Apple Cheddar Whole Wheat Quesadilla
Courtesy Whole Foods


Ingredients [serves 6, but easy to adjust accordingly]

  • 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 6 whole wheat tortillas
  • 1 large or 2 small apples, cored and thinly sliced 
  • Natural cooking spray
Preparation
  1. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cheese over one half of each tortilla. Arrange apple slices, barely overlapping, on top of each pile of cheese then sprinkle 2 more tablespoons cheese over apples on each tortilla and fold each in half.
  2. Generously spray a large skillet with oil spray and heat over medium high heat. Arrange half of the quesadillas in the skillet without overlapping and cook, gently flipping once, until cheese is melted and tortillas are golden brown on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to plates and repeat process with natural oil spray and remaining quesadillas; serve warm.

Yummy..plus the extra apple slices made a delightful side!





No comments:

Post a Comment