Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A Budding Artist

I started this blog with the intention of writing about several topics. Cooking adventures will always be the main focus, but since I'm currently saddled with more black bean soup than I can handle (despite TF joining me for dinner and actually liking my creation...a rarity that I'm still thrilled about), it's art's turn.


About two months ago, TF and I took a wine and painting class (thanks to my groupon obsession). It was a delightful time (as are most things when wine's involved) and we were both instantly hooked. Despite my best efforts, my painting from the class turned out absolutely dreadful (see below). I do not have a steady hand and really have no interest in recreating pictures. Freestyle is my jam. I love modern art. My dream adult house is covered in modern art from local galleries. Since I'm still a few raises away from fulfilling that dream, I must improvise. 


I moved into my studio apartment in June and for various reasons, didn't really get around to decorating until a few months ago. I was determined to make grown up decisions this time and spent a lot of time really thinking about what I wanted my new home to look like. Because the space is so small, I was determined to keep the walls as de-cluttered as possible. I'd taken the painting class with the vision of hanging my masterpiece up and building the living room around it. As you can see, my painting from class was way too dreadful to hang in my home, but at the same time I didn't want to throw a perfectly good piece of canvas out. Thus, I decided to make some modifications to it, save the canvas, and create something I was actually proud of. After about 30 minutes, I had a painting I actually wanted to hang up! And so began my newest obsession...painting. I've made two other works since and will post about them soon! 


My first attempt at painting:  (I won't post a picture of what it's supposed to actually be, but just know it's not that. I basically sensed things were taking a turn for the worst early on and just decided to go down in flames, using every color they gave us along the way)



And, after some revisions, what currently hangs above my couch...






No comments:

Post a Comment