Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

Art in the Baño

As I've mentioned before, I've been dragging out the apartment decorating process for some time now. It's been nice to make the transition from student to adult, but I still find myself fighting my underlying, and perhaps child-like, instincts more often than not. I had a long love affair with all things polka dots from freshman year of college until I gave myself a talking to about a year ago and decided it was time to refine my tastes and no longer live in a rainbow. Don't get me wrong, I will still stop and gush over a good dot ensemble more often or not, but they will no longer come into the home with the same level of dominance they once did. 

So, seven months after moving in, my apartment is slowly starting to come together. The effort is being helped along with the addition of several new works of art created by yours truly. The third work to be debuted in my home landed on a barren wall in the baño (I took Spanish for about 6 years and this is one of about 5 words that I retained). This painting was also a lot of fun to make and a prelude to a much larger version I hope to create some day when I have many more walls to work with.

Backstory: A couple weekends ago, TF and I decided to trek out to the Home Depot (or the HD as I so fondly refer to it). I love a good trip to the hardware store, seriously, I could stay there all day. We went with the intention of getting a couple pints of paint, but ended up finding some even smaller (and cheaper) tubs. I was like a kid in the candy store (enter my above referenced love of color as I scoured the paint sample wall trying to limit my selection to a mere 3 colors...talk about a difficult task!). My three favorite base colors for decorating right now are plum, charcoal, and black, so ultimately I went with those. I also got a canvas tarp as I was quickly getting tired of spreading my Sunday Post out every time I wanted to paint. Plus, the canvas just made me feel more like a real artist! After a somewhat messy afternoon of splatter painting by us both, my newest work of art was complete.




Close Up



Full bathroom shot





No comments:

Post a Comment