Pages

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Vegan Baking Take 2

Well folks, it's almost April and although it's freezing outside and I've yet to conquer my food of the year (why is it so hard to remember to buy an artichoke at market?!) I am doing a stellar job of overcoming my apprehension of going vegan in the kitchen. Before you get hysterical, don't worry, I'm not swearing off eggs and butter just yet, although after my latest endeavor I'm closer than I used to be. But that being said, sometimes it's just fun to mix things up and try something new.

A part of me has always loved baking, even when I wasn't so good at it, and as I've worked to fine tune my craft over the last year, there are definitely some aspects of baking that have become old hat to me. I equate it to driving. If you drive to work every day along the same route, there are times when you zone out and the next thing you know you're pulling in the parking garage at the office without the slightest memory of how you got there. I've found the same to be true in the kitchen. After you've been baking for a while, the process of creating cakes and cookies begins to repeat itself to the point that you can almost mix the ingredients in your sleep. When that happens it's sometimes nice to shake things up, take a new route, find an outside the box recipe, and challenge yourself. This is exactly what I did when deciding to begin my vegan baking journey.

I didn't jump feet first into this new arena. Instead, similar to my cooking journey, I dabbled my toes ever so slightly, building my confidence before upping the ante. I began with these during the Valentine's season. Somehow I missed blogging about them, but I used a heart shaped pan to make them holiday appropriate, since that's how I roll. They were amazing, well received, and a much needed confidence boost for my vegan baking confidence. 

I even took pictures...really not sure how these guys missed out on their blog fame

Better late than never I guess

Today at la officina, we had a surprise baby shower for the same coworker that I made the muffins for last month. We've had a decent amount of holidays and occasions for baked goods since I joined my current team and because I actually my coworkers (unlike the hell I escaped from) it gives me great joy to share my creations. With the joy of sharing also comes the need to live up to expectations. Not only does my competitive self have the need to constantly outdo my past works, but I have to walk the line of being ambitious without disappointing in my delivery. Thus, when the planning for today's surprise began a few weeks back the wheels in my head began to turn. After spending some time on the interweb going through my options, I finally decided on these. They were nothing short of amazing and I highly recommend that you make them ASAP.

Healthier Oreos
*I learned during this process that Oreos are already vegan [although highly processed]. Twist!?!


Ingredients
Recipe Courtesy of Chocolate Covered Kate
Makes about 24 sandwiches (using a 3 inch across cookie cutter)

Cookies
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp dark chocolate cocoa powder 
  • 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 3 tsps pure vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup canola oil 
  • 1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp almond milk
  • 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp agave nectar
Icing
  • 1 cup powdered sugar 
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup Earth Balance spread 
Preparation
1. In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients for the cookies. Stir with a whisk until well blended

2. In a smaller bowl, combine all liquid ingredients for the cookies, also mixing with a whisk

3. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients bowl, mixing until dough ball can be formed

4. Cover bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (I wouldn't recommend refrigerating overnight though as I found the dough needs to be somewhat soft to work with so it sticks together better)

5. Put dough in a plastic bag or wrap in saran wrap (I did the latter). While dough is tucked away, smash and mold it to begin softening it while also keeping it from getting too crumbly


6. Preheat oven to 300 F and line a baking sheet(s) with parchment paper

7. Remove dough from bag and roll out until thin (no need to flour surface). Using cookie cutter, cut into circles and place on a parchment paper covered baking sheet


8. Bake cookies for 8 minutes (depending on thickness). Allow to cool on tray for 10 minutes after removing from oven and prior to placing on cooling racks


9. While cookies are cooling, combine ingredients for icing and mix in an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Taste test and add more sugar if necessary

10. Once cookies are cool (at least 30 minutes) place a dollop of icing on one cookie and top with a second cookie, gently pressing together to form an oreo or "cookie sandwiches"

11. Store in refrigerator to harden icing (which I did over night), but I left them sit on my desk all day prior to the party and they held together beautifully. The icing was firmer and held together better than many of the non-vegan icings I've worked with in the past. Very impressed! 





1 comment:

  1. These were WONDERFUL! Thank you for sharing your wonderful treats today!

    ReplyDelete