Pages

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Splatter Print

In the midst of all my recent excitement in the kitchen, I realized it had been far too long since I shared any of my recent works of art. I've discovered that I really love painting...it's calming, I get to use a plethora of colors, and when I'm done I have a new masterpiece for my home. Unfortunately, because my apartment is so tiny, I often find that I'm pacing myself with my paintings out of fear that I'll fill my walls and not be able to paint any more. I hate feeling cluttered or crowded in my home, so I'm obsessive about keeping the decorations to a minimum. To remedy this problem, I've told myself that once I have a painting everywhere that I want one, I'll just start rotating them out, gallery style. I haven't hit that point yet, but in my head the idea works well enough to keep my calm and allow me to continue painting.


Anyway, a month or so ago I was spending the weekend with my family in Baltimore. When I come to visit, Mother and I usually spend the Saturday running errands and shopping. This particular Saturday, we were equally excited about one stop in particular: Michaels. While I have no formal art training (unless you count middle school art classes), Mother does. She graduated from MICA (Maryland Institute College of Art) back in the day and before she decided to work with children (also known as teaching) she was a trained artist. We've found some of her earlier works over the years (I used to have one hanging in my kitchen until she demanded that I take it down, deeming it not one of her best efforts). When she was buying me art supplies for Christmas it reignited her desire to paint and she decided it was time to get back into it. Unlike me, her home allows for her to have her own art studio, I'm very jealous, but baby steps. Nonetheless, in the days prior to my visit, Mother alerted me to the sale of all sales in the Michaels' art department...two coupons totaling a combined 60% off. I had one item in particular in mind that I'd been coveting for quite some time...a giant canvas. 


Since beginning to paint, I'd dreamed of acquiring a canvas that was feet tall and creating an epic work of art that would be the focal point of my apartment. Unfortunately, a canvas that size is well over $50 and while I love painting, I don't love it that much (at least not yet). This sale changed everything. Mother and I were like kids in a candy store! We had a grand time and, more importantly, I got my giant canvas!


Trying to decided what to paint


Not wanting to squander my opportunity with this giant workspace, I let the canvas sit staring at me for days (a first). Finally, it came to me--giant splatter. I've always loved Jackson Pollock's work and decided to channel my inner-Jackson in creating my masterpiece.


Close up of the finished product

Enjoy his new spot on the wall (I picked yellow and a lot of the colors in it to accent the colors in the duvet)


*Don't tell the others, but this one currently holds the title of favorite painting :)





















No comments:

Post a Comment