Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Mango Salsa Salmon

As per my custom, I've managed to drag out the release of all the recipes I got to try out over Easter weekend. Unlike with my birthday, I promise this is accidental. But, without further ado, the final recipe in the trifecta: Mango Salsa Salmon.

Since Sister and I are vegetarians, we usually have to make alternations to the menu at our family's holiday gatherings. Most of the sides usually remain intact (we do have a vegetarian version of our grandmother's stuffing recipe that we break out for Thanksgiving), but replacing the meat on the menu is always a must. So, as the family dined on a pineapple baked ham (I'll admit, I did used to love a holiday honey ham more than anything, and sometimes miss it slightly), we whipped up our traditional Easter meat (salmon). Usually sister runs this portion of the meal on her own, but this time, after being bombarded by half a dozen recipes for mango salmon, Sister let me take the reigns. She still helped with the baking process, but I was pretty impressed with how my first go at it turned out...

Basted and ready to bake



Delish


Mango Salsa Salmon
[Inspiration found here]

Ingredients

Salsa

  • 1 ripe mango, peeled and cut into small cubes (about 1 1/2 c)
  • 1/2 C chopped red bell pepper
  • 1/2 C chopped red onion
  • 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Salmon
  • Juice of 1 lemon (about 1/4 c)
  • 2 wild salmon fillets (1 lb each, about 1" thick)
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Preparation

  1. Prepare salsa: Toss together mango, bell pepper, onion, lime juice, mint, and jalapeno chile pepper in small bowl. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Cover and chill at least 1 hour to blend flavors
  2. Prepare salmon: Combine lemon juice and olive oil in large shallow baking dish. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place salmon in dish and flip to cover both sides. Marinate, covered, up to 1 hour in refrigerator
  3. Broil salmon for 8-10 minutes or until cooked through. Serve with salsa


No comments:

Post a Comment