Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Roasted Veggie Strudel

When I started this blog I worried I would run out of recipes and have nothing to write about after a few weeks. To my surprise, I feel like I have more recipes than I know what to do with! Unloading my camera over the weekend, I was greeted with photos of wonderful meals past that I was socked to learn I’d yet to share with the world. And, to make matters worse, I was without internet for most of last week and the weekend, putting me further behind! Silver lining though, you'll be guaranteed a slew of recipes from me for the foreseeable future! 
One of the first photos to come off my camera was actually the first recipe on my cooking journey that didn’t turn out as planned (or pictured). It was still a good learning experience, and more importantly, still tasted delish. In assessing my failings I attribute my problems (the final product was supposed to be a strudel rather than the flat mass that I ended up with) to the use of too many vegetables (even though I really never believe you can have too many veggies in your life). So here we go, what was intended to be roasted vegetable strudel.


Roasting the veggie assortment

Baked (sadly flat instead of rolled)

Served with a little sauce and parm in an effort to put my own spin on my failings

Roasted Vegetable Strudel
Courtesy of Proud Italian Cook

Ingredients
  • 2 zucchini
  • 1 large eggplant
  • 1 large red pepper
  • 1 small onion
  • 3 garlic cloves 
  • Cheese blend (shredded)
  • Phyllo sheets
Preparation
  1. Dice the veggies, drizzle with olive oil, S&P and roast at 425F until tender and golden
  2. Most important tip when using phyllo: keep it covered with a damp cloth as you go layering it. For this recipe it was recommended that 6 sheets of phyllo be used (I probably used 8-10 to try and get it to roll but eventually gave up
  3. When you reach the final sheet, spread your vegetables all over leaving about a 2" border all the way around 
  4. Scatter your favorite cheese combination on top of the veggies, I used a six cheese Italian blend. Fold up the border ends over the vegetables then carefully roll up starting up on the longer side until it becomes into a log (this is where my failure came and I just left it flat and baked it as it was
  5. Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes or until top is lightly browned. I wish you better luck than I had at rolling it, but if not, it's still worth a try!


No comments:

Post a Comment