Pages

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Potluck Breakfast

I don't work in an office that affords me the opportunity to bring in baked goods very often. This is not to say that it's forbidden. On the contrary, I think people would love it if I brought in baked goods (which is actually becoming more of a possibility since the arrival of Mr. Red) on a regular basis. Usually when any morsel of food appears in the kitchen it is gone within minutes, but I like to have an occasion to bake for. Sadly, after the annual holiday party, it's pretty much quiet in the officina until Halloween comes back around. So, when word of a going away potluck breakfast for a coworker spread, I couldn't wait to contribute something. 


When I think breakfast baked goods, my mind automatically goes to muffins. I am my father's daughter, I love a good muffin. I think more than anything I love the versatility of the muffin. They're a great excuse to use up any overrippened fruit you have laying around (or in the freezer--which is where I keep a steady supply of bananas that passed their prime before I was ready for them). My biggest problem with muffins is narrowing down what I want to put in them. This time, with my banana reserve at an all time high, I knew they would be included and ended up merging them with two of my other muffin staples: cinnamon and oats. The result did not disappoint. Although I wanted to try a new recipe this time (and didn't have any apples on hand) this recipe would also make a great muffin. 






Banana Oat Muffins
Adapted from All Recipes


Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup rolled oats (plus extra for topping)
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup canola oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup mashed bananas
  • 1 tsp cinnamon (I LOVE cinnamon so am always very generous with it)
Preparation
  1. Combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, soda, and salt
  2. In a large bowl, beat the egg lightly. Stir in the milk, oil, and vanilla
  3. Add the mashed banana, and combine thoroughly. Stir the flour mixture into the banana mixture until just combined
  4. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper bake cups, and divide the batter among them. Top with oats and cinnamon (if desired)
  5. Bake at 400 degrees F for 18 to 20 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment