Pages

Monday, March 12, 2012

Happy Birthday to Me

The only thing I love more than my birthday is stretching out my birthday. In recent years, doing so has become somewhat of a past time (this year I'm on track for a new record...I'll keep you posted). Reaching this goal was easier when my parents lived on the east coast and I was still in school in Oklahoma as I was guaranteed a second celebration when I visited for spring break. Now that I live much closer, the dragging out process takes a little more effort, but I'm getting good at it.

Last Monday was my real birthday and after celebrating with friends last weekend, this weekend was devoted to birthday part 3 (I had a wonderful birthday dinner on my real birthday as part 2) with the family. I was more excited than usual this year because I had asked for one specific gift from my parents. My request was made back in January, so the anticipation had only increased as the months passed. I've gotten some delightful birthday presents over the years, but only few have risen to the level of excitement and anticipation that this year's gift did. As I was presented with it my excitement reached Kristin Bell sloth receipt levels...although I'm currently reserving such a reaction for the receipt of my next dog (Bernie, the Bernese Mountain dog). Nonetheless, without further ado, I am now the proud owner of a red, Kitchen aid stand mixer. He is everything I dreamed he would be and has effectively eliminated my main reason for marrying (I joke, but receiving this delightful invention was about 85% of why I wanted to get married). Instantly added to the top five of best birthday gifts ever. 





I'd hoped to try out the newest addition to my kitchen upon returning to DC, but I got back too late and had to wait til today to put Mr. Red to use. It was more pressure than I expected trying to determine what to make in him first. I wasn't in the mood for anything too sweet (probably because my sugar high from the cake my grandmother made me was still alive and well) and since I'm doing a half marathon on Saturday I wanted to keep it somewhat healthy. Enter, the oatmeal raisin cookie (altered by my favorite site). They were just what I needed to get my mixing fix, although just writing about the experience is making me want to bake again, so I may just start bringing treats to work so I can keep mixing without having to worry about eating the fruits of my labor. Either way, I'm officially in love with my new toy!

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Ingredients

  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup raisins
  • 2 cups rolled oats
  • 1 cup sifted cake flour
  • 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt


Preparing for the first mix

Poor Bax, she was exhausted from the dog park but wanted to be part of Mr. Red's first baking run. Even after I shattered my mason jar and made it rain brown sugar on her head, she remained. She was rewarded for her faithfulness

Let the mixing begin!

First baking project done!

Preparation
  1. Position rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or coat with cooking spray
  2. Whisk together sugar, applesauce, egg white, oil and vanilla in a large bowl until smooth. Stir in raisins. Stir together oats, cake flour, whole-wheat flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet with a wooden spoon, mixing just until blended
  3. Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls onto a prepared baking sheet, spacing cookies about 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool




No comments:

Post a Comment