Pages

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Eat Run Eat: Part 1

I've never been what one would call a serious runner. I run out of a desire to stay in shape rather than any actual love for the craft. For the most part I waiver between hating running and growing accustomed to its face, but alas, like the masochist I am, I continue to return to the run.

In my early years of running, my focus was on doing several races a year. As my interest has waned in recent years, so too has my yearly race count, but one constant has remained: my yearly appearance in the DC Rock and Roll Half Marathon. 

I first did this race in March of 2011. Having lived in the District for almost a year at that point, I still loved everything about the city and was excited to do a run that took place in my backyard. The course has evolved in recent years, as too have my feelings for the District, but even with my still-recentish move to Baltimore, I couldn't help but sign up for the race that's become my favorite St. Patrick's Day tradition for the 4th straight year.

One of the things that keeps me coming back to this race, masochist tendencies aside, is the food. So much wonderful food goes into the pre and post race process that I can't quite turn my back on race-life just yet. By now, this blog has been around long enough that I've been able to share a couple of my pre-race meals. In 2012 I whipped up this easy, 10-minute pasta sauce for my pre-race fuel and last year I returned to an old favorite. This year, I decided to be adventurous and try something I'd been wanting to do for a while: crockpot pasta sauce. 

Even though I work from home on Fridays now, I usually don't have a ton of time to devote to dinner prep. I also had to turn in fairly early as I prefer to sleep in my own bed pre-race, and thus would have to head down to DC on Saturday morning. Enter my trusty crockpot.  We've been together only slightly longer than I've had this blog and during that time I've found myself coming to love him, especially during the winter month. He proved to be the perfect vessle for which to create this delicious pre-race sauce [the remains of which also make a great base for pizza night].

Crock Pot Veggie Pasta Sauce


Ingredients
Original Recipe Found Here
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 carrots, chopped
  • 1 (8 oz) package sliced mushrooms
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 15 oz can tomato sauce
  • 2 (14 oz) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 6 oz can tomato paste
  • 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • Pasta of choice


Preparation
  1. Cook onions and garlic in a medium skillet for 4-5 minutes or until tender.
  2. Once tender, add in carrots, mushrooms, and bell pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes.
  3. Line the bottom of the crock pot with veggies. Top with tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and seasonings (salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and sugar).
  4. Cook on high for 4 hours. Stirring periodically throughout. Remove lid after 4 hours and cook on high for 1 hour to allow sauce to thicken.
  5. Serve over your favorite pasta! 

No comments:

Post a Comment