Pages

Sunday, March 9, 2014

A Taste of Baltimore

Despite growing up in Oklahoma, I spent nearly every summer as a child in Baltimore. Because my mom was a teacher, she had the summers off as well and would load Sister and I up in our van (along with seemingly every toy we could get our hands on) and drive us out to the east coast for a couple months. Since Papa didn't have as much vacation time he would typically join us for a couple weeks at the end and then accompany us on our drive back. In the early years of this road trip (which I've done as an adult more times than I care to think about) we didn't have videos to keep us occupied and I marvel to this day how mother didn't kill us both. The mere thought of driving in a car for an extended period of time with children gives me a migraine. 

It was during these summers in Baltimore that a profound love of crabs and Old Bay Seasoning was instilled in me. During the course of our summer stay with my grandparents, there were a couple key events that I most looked forward to: trips to Ocean City, DC, and the inner harbor, swimming at my mom's aunt's house, and crab feast day. I never felt like my summer was complete until I'd picked my way through a huge pile of crabs. 

Still an annual tradition as we've gotten older, Crabs and Natty Bo

Back in Oklahoma, there was always a small piece of Baltimore in my parents'pantry: a can of Old Bay Seasoning. To this day I remain slightly amazed that we were even able to find it in local grocery stores (I do remember it being difficult at times...this was all before it became slightly more mainstream). My dad would use it throughout the year and it would always take me back to summertime in Baltimore. When I moved into my first apartment in college, it was one of the first things that I bought to stock my kitchen with and I've never been without it since.

Inspired by Old Bay's Oscar commercial debut last weekend, I decided to break out my trusty can this for an Old Bay-inspired meal. It hit the spot and helped me remember that there are a few things I love about the summer season.

Baked Zucchini Cakes and Old Bay Mac and Cheese


Ingredients

Zucchini Cakes [makes 5]
  • 1 medium zucchini, shredded
  • 4-5 asparagus sticks, chopped finely
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup breadcrumbs
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
  • Old Bay seasoning, to taste 
Old Bay Mac and Cheese
Inspiration found here
  • 1 cup noodles, cook according to package
  • 3/4 cup almond milk
  • 1 Tbsp flour
  • 1-2 cups sharp cheddar, shredded
  • Old Bay seasoning, to taste

Preparation

1. Prepare noodles for pasta according to package and preheat over to 425.


2. While noodles are cooking, wash and shred zucchini using the large holes on a cheese grater. Use a kitchen towel to ring out the extra moisture (it works so much better than using paper towels).


3. Finely chop a couple sticks of asparagus (I included these because I needed to use them up, but they actually gave the cakes a nice texture) and combine shredded zucchini, breadcrumbs (which I swear by making from scrap bread, especially the heels from loaves), Parmesan cheese, egg, and Old Bay in a large bowl. Mix until well combined.


4. Spray foil on baking sheet with cooking spray and then form patties from mixture and place on baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, then flip and bake for 8 more.


5. While zucchini cakes are baking, prepare sauce for pasta. Warm 1/2 cup of milk in a saucepan over medium heat. In a separate bowl, combine 1/4 cup milk with 1 Tbsp flour. Whisk until no lumps remain.


6. Once milk in saucepan begins to steam, add in milk-flour mixture. Whisk until it begins to thicken, 3-4 minutes. Season with Old Bay until it reaches desired taste.


7. Reduce heat to low and add in cheese, one hand full at a time, whisking in between until melted and well combined. Once all cheese is well mixed, pour cheese over cooked pasta in a large bowl and toss until well combined. 

Baltimore-inspired perfection









No comments:

Post a Comment