Pages

Monday, September 10, 2012

Summer's Last Hurrah

Oh fall. Cool, wonderful, fall. I cannot express how happy I am to see your shining face....it's been way too long. Before diving into today's post, you'll likely notice another costume change for the old blog. I continue to be less than thrilled with its layout and this is my current attempt to change things up. One day I'll get all kinks worked out. Until then, it will continue to be an evolving work in progress :)

When I awoke on Sunday morning I was greeted by a crisp autumn air and I was nothing short of thrilled...and even more so when it happened again this morning. Despite what the 7 day forecast says, I know I'm only days away from being able to my favorite outfit ensemble: shorts, Toms, and a cardigan. I can barely contain my excitement. In the mean time, I've officially stocked my cabinets with pumpkin so that I can whip up pumpkin infused delicacies on a whim (this might be dangerous). It is also a goal of mine to actually use fresh pumpkin in recipes, but that will probably be an October project.  

Despite my enthusiasm for fall's arrival, over the weekend I made one last go at a colorful recipe inspired by farm fresh summer veggies. The result was too good not to share and, as not to completely abandon my new found list of fall must-try recipes, I also prepared some pumpkin chocolate chip brownies for dessert, so fall was still alive an well in both my heart and my kitchen. Unfortunately, I wasn't focused when photographing the dessert, so none of my photos made the cut. I'll be making this again in the near future and will give him a post of his own to make up for my photography failings. Until then, hurry to market and scoop up some summer veggies for this dish before they're gone!


Corn and Tomato Saute Pizza


Ingredients
Adapted from Bev Cooks
  • 3 Tbps extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 flatout tortilla wraps [the original recipe called for naan bread]
  • 1 red onion, diced
  • 1 medium jalapeno pepper, minced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 6 ears of corn, shucked
  • 1 carton halved cherry tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro
  • Juice from 1 lime
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella
  • Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 400F
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil (for corn). Once water comes to a boil, boil corn for 3 minutes, then cover and remove from heat. Leave covered for at least 10 minutes

3. At the same time, bring olive oil to a medium-high heat in a large skillet and add the sliced onion and jalapeno pepper; sauté 5 minutes, or until onions start to soften. 
4. Add the garlic and bloom 30 seconds. Add the corn and sauté an additional 5 minutes. Add the cilantro and lime juiceStir in the tomatoes and sauté about 5 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper

5. Brush tortillas lightly with the olive oil. Lightly sprinkle some cheese over the tortillas, followed by the corn sauté. Finish with more cheese.
6. Slide pizzas into the oven and bake about 12 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and starting to brown and bubble. After they were cooked I placed them under the broiler for 2-3 minutes to darken the cheese slightly.
Serve and enjoy one last run at summer's gorgeous produce! 



No comments:

Post a Comment