Pages

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Pumpkin Meets Cookies

Oh sweet fall. I love that you're back in my life. As you can tell by my delinquent blog writing, I have been spending more time out enjoying fall and less time in the kitchen. Walking my Shepherd dog has become my new favorite pastime. Jackets/cardigans/long-sleeves with shorts are my favorite outfit combo of all time. It's often still dark when Bax and I take our first walk of the day, but I'm loving getting to finally wear a jacket while we do it. My running took a serious hit this summer, I just could not get adjusted to the heat this year. But since the cool mornings have returned to my life, I'm loving running again! My Thursday run not only allowed me to break in my new running shoes, but to do so in my favorite running combo (long sleeves and shorts). It was nothing short of a phenomenal way to start the day. 

I guess I'll stop gushing about fall for the time being and get onto more important matters--fall baking. Alicia and Daniel expanded their family a few weeks ago and adopted a dashing young puppy by the name of Theodore. They call him Teddy for short, but I like to full name people, so he'll always be Theodore to me. Last weekend we were all finally in town and it was the perfect time for him and Baxter to finally meet. Bax was completely jazzed (actually, to honest, not really....in her perfect world it would just be her and I forever and no one else would interfere) and she accompanied me to the doggie boutique by our home to pick out a "welcome to DC" gift for the little guy. He seemed to love it (it was a puppy kong...which I found to be a complete God-send when Bax was wee). For the adults at the gathering, we had fun football snacks and I broke out the pumpkin for a new cookie recipe: pumpkin snickerdoodles! Puppies, football, and pumpkin = best way to spend a fall afternoon.

Pumpkin Snickerdoodles


Ingredients
Wonderful original recipe found here
  • 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 3/4 cups sugar, divided
  • 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 large egg
  • 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
  • 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
Preparation
  1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice; set aside
  3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Add the egg and beat at medium speed until combined, about 30 seconds. Add the pumpkin puree and beat at medium speed until combined, about 30 seconds. Add the dry ingredients and beat at low speed until just combined, about 30 seconds, scraping down the bowl as needed
  4. Place the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon for rolling in a shallow bowl. Roll a heaping tablespoon of dough into a 1½-inch ball, roll the ball in the sugar mixture, and place it on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough, spacing the balls about 2 inches apart
  5. Bake the cookies until the edges are set and just beginning to brown but the centers are still soft and puffy, 10 to 12 minutes, rotating the baking sheet halfway through baking
  6. Cool the cookies on the baking sheets about 5 minutes; transfer the cookies to a wire rack and cool to room temperature

And some shameless puppy pictures from the afternoon:


Bax and I with a pooped Theodore after a trip to the park


Alicia and young Theodore (showing their Redskins spirit)





1 comment:

  1. I finally got a chance to visit your blog in what seems like MONTHS and saw this point...what a fun day we had! And Daniel and I finally finished off your delish cookies last night :) They were a winner!

    ReplyDelete