Pages

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Farmers Market Veggies + Pasta

Sometimes I amaze myself. This amazement has occurred in various aspects of my life and in both good and bad ways. Case in point: during a weekend at home a couple of weeks back, I discovered a collection of old journals. I've always loved writing and during several points over the years I've kept track of the happenings in my life. Reading through these now, almost 15 years later, has been both entertaining and enlightening. I knew I was a complete nerd, and somewhat if a tomboy, during my high school years, but reading through my life and times during the summer of my 14th year really gave me a newfound appreciation for how far I've come. Embarrassing confession: I once excitedly asked a boy crush what his favorite football team was. Seriously. Oh little teenage Gian...

Similarly, I feel as though I've experienced similar growth in my cooking abilities. Since starting this blog, I've tried my hand at a variety of recipes, many of which were way outside the scope of my traditional cooking comfort zone. And, with each success, my confidence began to grow. Last week, I took my confidence to another level with this creation. It was farmers market pasta perfection!

Brussels Sprout-Tomato Pasta with Olive Oil and Garlic Sauce



Ingredients
[Inspiration found here]
  • 3 cups of pasta (I choose penne for the occasion)
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil + 2 Tbsps
  • 3-5 cloves of garlic (minced)
  • 6-8 fresh brussels sprouts (rinsed and halved with stems and loose leaves removed)
  • 10-12 cherry tomatoes (sliced)
  • 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning (mine is a combination of basil, oregano, and thyme)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Shredded Italian cheese for topping (optional)
Fresh produce ready to be eaten

Always forget about my over the sink strainer/cutting board

Preparation

  1. In a large pot, bring to a boil 6 quarts of salted water. Add pasta and cook until al dente, about 6 to 8 minutes
  2. Meanwhile, warm 2 Tbsps of olive oil in wok over medium-low heat. Add brussels sprouts (halved) and cook until lightly browned (turning frequently)
  3. At the same time, in a large saute pan, heat 1/2 cup olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and Italian seasoning; saute until light brown and fragrant
  4. Drain pasta, reserving 2 tablespoons of the pasta water. (The reserved pasta water will help create the sauce). Do not rinse pasta with water
  5. Add the reserved pasta water to the garlic and olive oil mixture and stir to combine
  6. Toss pasta and cooked brussels sprouts with sauce until covered. Top with tomatoes and warm. Top with cheese (if desired) and serve

Love the smell that fills the house when cooking with garlic


Brussels sprouts are one of my randomly discovered favorite foods

No comments:

Post a Comment