Pages

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Thunderous Chickpea Salad

Basketball is back in my life, and more specifically, NBA basketball! I promise this isn't going to be a sports post (although I do have an unparalleled love for sports, especially football)! But I would be remised if I did not share my joy that not only is the NBA back in my life, but I actually have a team to cheer on in the playoffs! These are two HUGE accomplishments given how nonexistent the NBA has been in my life the last couple of years!


Growing up I LOVED basketball. My dad was a basketball player in high school and college and he started playing ball with me at a very young age. I can even remember the first time I sat myself down, determined to watch a basketball game in its entirety. Shaq still played for the Magic and I think it was one of the few times I cheered for him (he was never one of "my" players). My dad was thrilled to have someone to watch the game with, naturally, and my basketballness only grew over the years. Following in papa's footsteps, I tried my hand at basketball during my middle and early high school years before recognizing the writing on the wall: I was meant to watch basketball, not play it. It's ok, I'm much better for it. And so I watched it.


Unfortunately, since Oklahoma didn't have a NBA team at the time, I chose my favorite teams based on which players I liked the best. The only bad part about this was that, after Sir Charles, Reggie, and the others hung up their sneakers, I was left without a solid team to call my own. I wasn't too upset about it as I was deep in the throws of college by then and had plenty of Sooner football (and from time to time, basketball) to keep me happy. But after March Madness came to an end I always knew it was going to be a long, hot, sports-free summer until football returned (I'll interject here that being raised in a football state, baseball has never really been my jam; although living around several teams now, I do enjoy a good day at the ballpark from time to time). 


During my final years in Oklahoma, the Thunder came to town. I was in a somewhat anti-NBA point by then, so I only followed them from afar. In the years since their arrival, and with some prodding from TF, I've come to embrace them (I even regularly rock a Thunder shirt in the District). 


The only downside to cheering on the Thunder from DC is that they play in the western conference with many late start times for fans on the east coast (I'm old, I need my beauty rest). Since I'm notorious for falling asleep on the couch after a certain hour, I've taken to creating projects for myself while the game is on so that I can feel productive and make it through the game without falling asleep...I'm writing this post wide awake during Game 2 :) 


On Monday night, also known as the Game 1 beatdown of LA, I stumbled upon a delicious recipe that both kept me awake and helped me get out of my lunch rut! Pinterest to the rescue once again! Sorry, as I read back through this post I'm realizing it's more sports-heavy than I intended, so for that I apologize. I also apologize if I just bored you to death with my inane ramblings about my life and basketball. Hopefully this recipe will make up for it!


Chickpea Cilantro-Lime Salad
Inspiration found here


Ingredients
  • One 15-oz can chickpeas (2 cups cooked), drained and rinsed
  • 2 cups spinach
  • Juice from 1.5 limes
  • 3/4 cup fresh Cilantro
  • 1/2 tsp sugar (or to taste)
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt + ground pepper
  • Tomatoes (died) *optional
  • Cucumber (chopped in food processor) *optional
Preparation

1. In a food processor, add the spinach and pulse a few times until chopped very small. Add the processed spinach and drained chickpeas into a large bowl

2. In the food processor (no need to rinse the bowl!), add the lime juice, cilantro, sugar, garlic, cumin, and oil. Process until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed

3. Pour the dressing on top of the spinach chickpea mixture and stir well. Chop cucumber in food processor until desired chunckiness, then add to mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste. Let stand for about 10 minutes to let the flavours develop (or overnight, although the spinach gets a little soggy this way, but still good)


Enjoy and Thunder Up!


No comments:

Post a Comment