Pages

Monday, February 10, 2014

FOTY Take One: Leek Time

The onset of the new year not only brought with it a slew of life changes, but also the return of my annual Food of the Year (FOTY) program! As you may recall, this is something I started doing a while back to get myself to expand my eating horizons. I detailed the history behind my FOTY program here and to be honest, I'm surprised at how long it's lasted. I'd be lying if I didn't admit I was starting to worry about running out of foods to conquer.  

The last couple years have brought some fun ones, with artichokes taking the prize last year and oysters the year before, but this year I was a little stumped for ideas. In general, I've been trying to work my way through the vegetable circuit with the goal of never finding myself in the presence of a vegetable that I didn't like. With that thought in mind, I decided to choose leeks as my FOTY for 2014. 

My leek choice was admittedly somewhat rushed. January snuck up on me and decisions needed to be made. It's not that I regret my leek choice, so much as I've been near certain from the start that I would like them instantly and there would be nothing to really conquer this year. With this conundrum at hand, I used some of my train time, or thinking time as I sometimes I like to kindly characterize my 2 hour commute to Bethesda, to land on a secondary food of the year: beets. 
 
Unlike leeks, which I chose mostly because I'd never cooked with them and wanted to start, I've had beets in recent years and do not care for them....making them perfect for the FOTY challenge! I liken this year to my second time oatmeal and I came together. At first it was my only FOTY failing, but at second pass a few years later (after I'd quickly conquered another FOTY) I found a love for it and now joyously start most days with a delightful bowl of it warming my insides. I can only hope for a similar go-round with beets back on the table. But for now, it's leeks' time to shine!

Today's recipe features not only leeks, but one of my favorite adult vegetables, brussels sprouts. Those little green balls of heaven never fail me and, as expected, the leeks were a hit with my palate too. They only had baby leeks at the HT when I went, so I'm hoping to try them out in normal size, and prepared in a more roasted form, over the weekend. But for now, baby leeks it is!

Baby Leek, Brussels Sprout, and Tomato Lemon Quinoa 


Ingredients
*Makes 2-3 servings
  • 3 baby leeks, diced
  • 8-10 medium brussels sprouts, stems trimmed and halved
  • 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
  • 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut into fourths
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • Lemon juice, to taste
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • A couple tablespoons olive oil (sorry I didn't measure, just put enough so the veggies didn't stick when cooking in the wok)
  • Feta cheese, optional for topping


Preparation

1.   Bring two cups water to a boil, add quinoa, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed.

2.   Meanwhile, prepare veggies for cooking (wash and chop)

3.   Heat olive oil in wok, then add brussels sprouts first. They take the longest to cook, but you also have to watch them closely so they don't get overcooked and taste bitter. They're a tricky beast!

4.   After a couple minutes, add garlic and leeks, plus salt and pepper

5.   Finally, add tomatoes and lemon juice. Cook until everything looks done



6.   Once quinoa is done, add it to the party in the wok and mix everything together

7.   Top with feta before serving and enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment