Pages

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Cookies and Crafts

Along with the celebration of Baxter's birthday, last weekend also marked the start of Christmas cookie season. I'd stocked up on baking supplies while I was home for Thanksgiving and could no longer wait to break them out (although admittedly I'd already begun to sneak some of the dark chocolate Christmas M&Ms into my mouth). Last year there were a slew of Christmas cookie recipes that I wanted to try and only had time for about half of them. Determined not to let that happen again (although I'm already making my peace with the fact that once again there will be some that don't make the cut), I decided to do a little test run. 

The chosen cookie to kick off the holiday season was one that had been on my list last year, but I got scared off from making: chocolate crackle cookies. In hindsight, I'm not sure why I was scared of them, they were super easy!

As I mentioned during one of my many Thanksgiving posts, last year this time was when my baking skills really began to blossom. I tried all kinds of creations courtesy of Alicia's amazing Martha Stewart cookie book and while she does her own version of these, I found this food network version to be less complicated and super delicious.

Double Chocolate Crackle Cookies


Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup dark chocolate cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 6 Tbsps unsalted butter, melted [possibly a little more if too try]
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
  • 1 cup confectioners' sugar
Coated and ready to bake

Preparation
  1. Whisk the flour, granulated sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl
  2. Whisk in the melted butter and eggs until combined, then stir in the white chocolate chips. Cover with plastic wrap and chill until firm, about 1 hour. (I halved the recipe and the dough wasn't holding together, so I ended up still using 6 Tbsps of butter, so if you're making the full recipe consider doubling the buter if the dough is too dry)
  3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
  4. Put confectioners' sugar in a shallow bowl. Roll tablespoonfuls of the dough into balls, then roll in the confectioners' sugar until well coated
  5. Place 1 inch apart on the baking sheets. Bake until the cookies are puffed and the tops are cracked, about 10 minutes. About 8 minutes in I used the back of a teaspoon to gently flatten the cookies (mine were still balls) and create the cracked effect. I also sprinkled a little additional confectioners' sugar on them once they were done cooking
  6. Let cool 2 minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer to a rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container up to 1 week

In addition to some baking, I also completed my first craft project of the Christmas season--a wreath for my door. This was another project I'd wanted to undertake last year but never got around to doing so. 

As with most of my craft ideas, this one came courtesy of Pinterest. And, as with most of my craft ideas, it ended up taking much longer than anticipated. I started working on it on Saturday and about mid-way through, discovered that I wasn't going to have enough ornaments to finish. If I'd read the instructions clearly before hand, I would've known that the finished wreath needed about 100 ornaments. But alas, I did not. 

Luckily, my mother is a kind sort and was amenable to my suggestion of an afternoon lunch/Christmas shopping trip to Old Town Alexandria, followed by a stop at the local Michael's to replenish my supplies (I also paid her in freshly baked cookies). It ended up being a good trip, got some presents crossed off the list (including a dashing red wool sweater for my Aussie....can't wait to share pictures of that one, or to try it on her) and I was able to spend the evening finishing my wreath. Many hot glue sticks and ornaments later and I successfully crafted my first wreath! I've loved a good sparkle on and off since childhood and I'm definitely falling back in love this year:


Getting ready to start (the first time)....not nearly enough ornaments

Making progress

Finished. So sparkly!


No comments:

Post a Comment