Pages

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Another Belated Birthday

With all the excitement over fall baking, I can't believe I forgot to share this delicious birthday cake recipe I made (now a month ago) for my cousin and aunt's birthday celebration.

If you've read this blog with any regularity over the last year it's likely that my family's love for a good birthday celebration has become apparent. And it's true. We, and especially me, love a good birthday gathering. Since there are so many birthdays clustered in the summer and fall months, with mine not being one of them, I have come to look forward to the birthday's of others for the cake. I love most desserts, but cakes especially have always been a favorite for me (hence my love of cupcakes...mini cakes!). Thus, you can imagine my joy when others allow me to craft their birthday cakes!

My cousin and aunt both have birthdays in my favorite month (October) and often celebrate jointly. This year I jumped at the opportunity to craft a cake for the occasion. It was my first time with this recipe and it did not fail. The perfect, simple vanilla cake, dressed in my favorite buttercream frosting, and topped with a colorful menagerie of sprinkles. Definitely keeping this as my new go-to vanilla cake. Hat tip to Martha yet again!

Versatile Vanilla Cake with Vanilla Buttercream

My cousin was turning the big 3-0 so her mom ceded cake decoration to her 

Ingredients
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pans
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for pans
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3 large egg yolks
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup low-fat buttermilk


Preparation
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour two 8-by-2-inch cake pans, tapping out excess flour. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
  2. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. With mixer on low, beat in eggs and yolks, one at a time. Beat in vanilla. Alternately beat in flour mixture and buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix just until combined
  3. Divide batter between pans; smooth tops. Bake until cakes pull away from sides of pans, 32 to 35 minutes. Let cool in pans 10 minutes. Run a knife around edges of pans and invert cakes onto a wire rack. Let cool completely
  4. Place one cake, bottom side up, on a cake stand. Tuck strips of parchment paper underneath. Using an offset-spatula or table knife, spread top with my favorite buttercream [also from Martha]. Top with remaining cake; frost top, then sides



Another favorite part of birthday celebrations--birthday crowns 
[with Sister and one of my cousin's daughters...pretty much the only child I somewhat enjoy]


No comments:

Post a Comment